Meindl evacuated
Home Up Maleme map Meindl evacuated A Kiwi view



The following is an account from "Crete Eyewitnessed".  It tells of the evacuation of General Meindl after he was wounded.

Site Map

Depressing rumours were circulating about huge losses by our paratroops and it was even said that operation "Merkur" might have to be abandoned.
As I knew the frequency and code of the Maleme paratroop group I sat down at the JU radio receiver as soon as it became dark and wrote down the radio messages coming in from Maleme.  There was repeated mention that ammunition was running out and then came the following message: "Severely  wounded General Meindl must be moved to mainland at earliest opportunity."  Koenitz and I were of one mind: "We'll get him out!".
We immediately asked our Wing Commander Wilke for permission to fly before dawn.  His reply was: "Permission from me not given, but if you start on this without being specially tasked then I was unable to stop you".  This was all we needed.  We had our aircraft loaded with ammunition crates and started with a new flight mechanic while it was still dark.
While approaching the Bay of Rodopos peninsula Koenitz put the aircraft to a steep climb of 250 metres but nothing stirred when we came over the airfield.  We saw he German flag markers at its eastern edge.  "We'll land behind the airfield near the shore to the West of Tavronitis".  We had to glide in from the East over the British positions with all that explosive freight of ours.  Koenitz made a masterly landing on the narrow beach steeply sloping to the sea, even though the beach was strewn with stones, some of them as much as 20cm in diameter.  This was an outstanding piece of work.  As soon as we had switched off the engines, two paratroops came running up: "Have you ammunition?" - "Two and a half tone of it" - we replied.  This was greeted with shouts of delight.  More paratroops came running up and unloaded our splendid JU.  I had myself taken to the first aid post.  It was as hot as hell.  The casualties were lying under trees.  The badly wounded General Meindl had a grazed heart and a shot through the arm.
A JU52 similar to the one Meindl is evacuated in.
He opened his eyes for a moment in a semi-delirious state, recognized me and whispered: "Things, my dear fellow, look pretty bad, there's snow, much snow".  Eight of the badly wounded were taken on stretchers to the beach.  Some paratroops had cleared away the larger stones from the "runway" but even so the aircraft did not reach the required speed; finally Koenitz simply pulled the kite up sharply - it pancaked but still had enough speed to lift itself off - but only just.
After a long banking turn we set course for Athens.  We flew low over the sea till Koenitz rose to 500 metres at the southern tip of the Peloponnese.  I put out the aerial and switched on the transmitter to report to Athens our e.t.a. and whom we had on board.  When we had touched down in Phaleron I saw a number of ambulances coming towards us: - We had made it.